Creamy Potato Leek Soup
Here is my version of Creamy Potato Leek soup. It's simple to make, hardy, and inexpensive.
- 5 lb bag of potatoes (unpeeled, chopped)
- 3 to 5 leeks (chopped)
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion (diced)
- 5 strips of uncooked bacon
- 4 packets of chicken broth
- 2 leaves fresh basal (diced)
- 4 or 5 sprigs fresh thyme (diced)
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 2 cups whole milk (half & half is ok)
- 3 or 4 slices of dried garlic (crushed)
- cold water
Making the soup is very straight forward.
- Clean the potatoes, remove the potato eyes (leave skins on) & chop into pieces.
- Rinse potatoes with cold water & add to stock pot.
- Add cold water, until about 1 inch above potatoes.
- Bring stock pot to a boil.
- Add contents of chicken broth packets to stock pot.
- Crush dried garlic slices & add to stock pot.
- Lower heat, cover, continue under low boil.
(mix stock pot every once in a while)
- Cook bacon in a covered frying plan until crispy.
- Remove bacon to cool & leave bacon grease in frying pan.
- Chop leeks, dice onion, basal & thyme; then add to covered frying pan.
- Lightly brown leaks/onions, then add entire contents of frying pan to stock pot.
- Crush bacon; then add to stock pot.
- Add remaining spices to stock pot & bring back to a boil.
- Once potatoes are soft, use a potato masher to crush everything until the lumps are gone.
- [optional, recommended] Lower heat, cover pot & allow soup to simmer for 45 minutes or so.
(mix every once in a while to prevent burning)
- Add milk to stock pot & mix well.
- Allow soup to cool enough to use an immersion blender to blend soup until desired smoothness is achieved.
- Your done - enjoy the soup... Salt & pepper to taste.
* When warming, reheat the soup slowly & stir often.
If you like this site or any of its content, please help promote it. Use the social media buttons below to help spread the word. Don't forget to post in the comments section.