Effective Weed Management
Here some ways to effectively manage & control weeds.
If you like this site or any of its content, please help promote it. Use the social media buttons below to help spread the word. Don't forget to post in the comments section.
- Dig holes only where & as large as is necessary. This prevents weed seeds in the soil from being churned to the surface & germinating.
- Apply weed barrier cloth around bushes, flower beds, etc.. to help prevent weed growth in those areas.
- Apply 2 to 3 inches of mulch to your garden beds, to help retain soil moisture & prevent weed growth.
- Lightly water before hand pulling weeds, as this loosens soil & makes it easier to pull the weed's root. (The rule is 'pull when wet, hoe when dry')
- Close gaps between your plants, to prevent creation of areas where weeds can grow.
- Perform targeted watering, to water only your plants & prevent watering the weeds. (Try using drip irrigation, drip hoses or soaker hoses.)
- Apply fresh compost &/or manure to new garden beds. This helps enrich the soil & hampers new weed growth, and gives you more time to plant it properly.)
- Use herbicides only when necessary. Over usage of herbicides will poison the soil & may cause weeds to become immune to it.
- Cultivate the ground in your vegetable gardens before/after the growing season. This will help inhibit weed growth, by chopping the weed's roots & allows loosened weeds to dry out.